it is my opinion that the damage done to our bodies in regards to nutritional deficiency most likely started in the womb. It is going to take more than a few months of "healthy" eating to heal chronic pain, fatigue, and/or auto immune disease, but it is a great place to start! These are some powerful supplements, please check with your doctor if your are taking medication, pregnant, nursing, etc. I always double check my medications with vitamin and supplement interactions on www. drugs.com as well. I like to double check what I am told by the doctor and/or pharmacist. I am my own best advocate and I like to be informed. I am only using this as a temporary booster since my Immune System has been severely weakened over the past few months. I am currently reading "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman and I am on the fence as to whether or not we can get most of our vitamins and minerals from diet alone. I have done may restrictive diets before mostly for health reasons. I will talk more on this later, now let's get to my delicious smoothie...
Ingredients...I use powder supplements in capsules, just open, pour and blend into smoothie. Less pills to take! I chose ingredients and listed some beneficial properties for my particular ailments. Of course I could write an entire blog on each of these and have not included an exhaustive list of benefits.
- STRAWBERRIES antioxidants, anti inflammatory, anti cancer 1/2 cup
- BLUEBERRIES antioxidants 1/2 cup
- ACAI BERRY JUICE a nice change in flavor and have powerful antioxidants 4 oz
- COCONUT WATER (not milk) a good source of potassium which many people don't realize they are deficient in, this can also cause muscle pain and cramping and of course electrolyte imbalance which can be especially dangerous if you are taking certain medications. It also has an interesting flavor. 4oz
- GREEN TEA adored for its anti cancer properties, I have a jasmine green tea which adds a nice floral element. It is also good for energy and boosts the immune system 6oz (brewed)
- MORINGA this is an amazing plant that has more potassium than bananas, more calcium than milk, more vitamin A than carrots and more Vitamin C than oranges! capsule varies
- YERBA MATE http://guayaki.com/mate/2931/Health-Benefits-of-Yerba-Mate.html this is a site for the tea but it has some good information. If you are addicted to coffee or Redbull switching to Yerba Mate tea and energy drinks is great. I use the powder supplements for this smoothie. It gives you even focused energy, you don't get the jitters and then crash. capsule varies
- ASHWAGANDHA has the amazing ability to calm frayed nerves while energizing at the same time, boosts immune system capsule varies
- ELEUTHERO an adaptogen repairs adrenal glands, it is sometimes called Siberian Ginseng but it is NOT ginseng. This site has a good description although I don't agree with the evidence section. This stuff is strong if you take it too late in the day it will keep you up all night. capsule varies http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/ComplementaryandAlternativeMedicine/HerbsVitaminsandMinerals/eleuthero
- NIACIN or Vitamin B3 (get the Flush free kind!) energy, nervous system, adrenal glands/hormones, circulation, possibly helps osteoarthritis and depression *careful excess can cause liver damage capsule varies
- MAGNESIUM MALATE (There are several types of magnesium and they all serve different purposes, this is the best for muscle pain. Whatever you do don't get Magnesium Oxide it basically passes through your system with minimal absorption and it is what most stores sell!) capsule varies
I blend all of this together in a personal size take and go blender. You just take the blender off and it becomes your cup.